THEMA: a bit of help
27 Mär 2007 13:49 #34128
  • LORENA
  • LORENAs Avatar
  • LORENA am 27 Mär 2007 13:49
  • LORENAs Avatar
By the way,as you are all so helpful I have another question.Should I bookk campings already or can I do it once I arrive in Namibia.I'm travelling in june.

Thanks again!
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
27 Mär 2007 14:12 #34133
  • Axel
  • Axels Avatar
  • Wo ich hintrete bleibt nur Staub
  • Dank erhalten: 122
  • Axel am 27 Mär 2007 14:12
  • Axels Avatar
I never booked and I always drive over dez/jan in the SA/NAM holidays. You fix the first night in WDH and then you drive. We have here a lot of lists with camping areas to visit. Most of time you arrive at 15.00 or 16.00 and when its really fully booked you go over to the next 50 km left or right. In the etosha all the camps will build up, may be that will be a little bit narrow to the next tent. When you visit a lodge with camping place you can get informations from the owner to the next \"proper\" super place.
Ich bin immer für geteilte Meinungen, Hauptsache man teilt meine. "The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"
27 Mär 2007 14:56 #34138
  • Sue
  • Sues Avatar
  • Sue am 27 Mär 2007 14:56
  • Sues Avatar
Hello Lorena,
we we've only ever been in May and June and we've never had problems neither with campsites nor lodges. If we weren't certain we gave a ring a couple of days before so we didn't get any nasty surprises. If your mobile doesn't work get yourself a phone card.
We had the bushcamper in 2002 and we were really pleased with it. Just make sure you don't leave too much laying around in the back things get a bit shaken up on the pads. Take some plastic bags with you too, to put clothes in, the dust and fine sand gets in everywhere. Don't forget it can get very cool at night in June and the bushcamper gives a bit more protection. As you're in the north it's a bit warmer than in the south. We froze last year in the evenings so take some warm clothes with you. Cooking is fun outside but if you just fancy something quick setting up the cooker or getting the brai going is a bit of a bother. But as you're on holiday you've got the time ;)

Bye for now
Sue
27 Mär 2007 23:27 #34177
  • linksfahrer
  • linksfahrers Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 1
  • linksfahrer am 27 Mär 2007 23:27
  • linksfahrers Avatar
Hi Lorena,

first of all you have think about your itinerary, than you have to think about the car you need.
You can go to Kasane from Windhoek in 2 days if you have to, and need only a 2WD.
Do you like to see Botswana,Namibia or a bit of both?
Just to give you an idea, have a look to our itinerary for august:

http://www.namibia-forum.ch/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&func=view&catid=7&id=32386

We have 22 days to do it. For this tour i would not recommend a bushcamper but a double cab, because of the staggering of the bushcamper if you go through sandy pads.

regards Thomas
12 Apr 2007 12:10 #34943
  • LORENA
  • LORENAs Avatar
  • LORENAs Avatar
Thanks! I'm going to take a look at your itinery,we would like to see a bit of both Namibia and Botswana,
14 Mai 2007 22:17 #37354
  • LORENA
  • LORENAs Avatar
  • LORENAs Avatar
hi again! it's been a long time.now planning our itinery,leaving in 1 month! we are thinking of going to the desert first and from there to Etosha,and don't know if to go along the c34 up to torrbay and from there to etosha or from swakopmund visit some of the Skeleton coast and then go back to the main roads. Do you know if the c34 is in good conditions? would it be worth while going along the coast ? any idea of how long it would take to get to etosha?

thanks and really looking forward to your help