THEMA: Crossing Congo DRC October 2016
15 Apr 2016 17:44 #427772
  • Oli1978
  • Oli1978s Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 9
  • Oli1978 am 15 Apr 2016 17:44
  • Oli1978s Avatar
Guys,

just testing the waters here and to see the response rate.

I am currently based in the DRC, Kinshasa. After 3 years my assignment comes to an end and I am scheduled to leave end of September 2016. Assuming that I will never come back to this country, I am dreaming of this once in a life time opportunity to travers DRC by car, Lubumbashi to Kinsasa. My cruiser is currently in Joburg but needs to be taken back to Windhoek for police clearance reasons.

So this is what I am thinking:

Windhoek - Caprivi Strip into / trough Zambia to southern DRC. From Lubumbashi to Kinshasa (there is basically only one route). Once in Kinshasa head towards the coast Boma / Matadi / Muanda and into Angola. Through Angola back to Windhoek.

For the DRC only, I would schedule 4 weeks for the rest another 4-6. Looking at a total time of roughly 10-12 weeks.

After 3 years in Congo, my french is at a reasonable level and I am fairly well connected since I work for one of the biggest companies in the country with 6 big production sites all over the country.

I am looking for somebody experienced to join me in a second vehicle. This is true adventure to one of the least travelled countries in Africa. Expect zero comforts, hard work and as the only luxury the occasional cold one. This will be a trip you will never forget!

Below please find a link to a trip report (incl. plenty of photos) by a belgian couple that did in 2008. I took them a bit more than 4 weeks.

www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... o-Kinshasa

Looking forward to your comments!

Cheers,

Oliver
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
04 Jun 2016 09:23 #433202
  • pauleausminga
  • pauleausmingas Avatar
  • pauleausminga am 04 Jun 2016 09:23
  • pauleausmingas Avatar
ok i ll bite ;-)
Indeed sounds like a once-in-a-livetime-opportunity or -adventure..
I d have (lots) of time - but no 2nd vehicle.. What would speak against using just one car ?
Hoping the idea isnt thrown over board yet and looking forward to hear from you (guess via PM and then email)
njoy your weekend and dont get lost in Congo (i know some locals near Lubumbashi and elsewhere, so there are places to stay..) cheers
paule from munich (germany)
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.