• Cruiser
  • Cruisers Avatar
  • Namibian! Living in SA and NAM!
  • Dank erhalten: 2033
  • Cruiser am 13 Apr 2018 09:27
  • Cruisers Avatar
Leopard attacks tourist in Kuiseb Canyon
Niel Terblanche
A leopard attacked and seriously injured a man visiting Namibia while he was camping in the Kuiseb River Canyon on the edge of the Namib Desert.
It is suspected that poachers wounded the animal in the Dorob National Park which caused the enraged leopard to viciously attack the man.
According to Mr. Wilfred Andreas, an employee of a well-known lodge in the area of Solitaire, the circumstances surrounding the attack on the visitor from Germany are very mysterious.
He said he was driving from the direction of Solitaire towards Walvis Bay when he saw an overland camping truck below the road in the gorge of the river. According to Andreas, the driver of the truck was blasting the hooter to get his attention.
“I drove towards the truck to see how I can assist and when I got to it a woman alighted from the cab. She was in a panicked state and told me what happened.”
Andreas said the woman told him that her husband was attacked by a leopard during the night. She told him that they were woken by a noise at about 01:00 in the morning and when her husband got up to close an open window near to where they were sleeping inside the truck, the enraged animal grabbed her husband and attempted to drag him outside.
“She said she grabbed her husband’s feet and pulled him back inside the vehicle. After that she closed the window and helped her bleeding husband.”
He said the man was severely injured and that the truck was covered in blood on the inside and outside.
“I drove the truck to Walvis Bay and on the way I phoned people in town to call an ambulance that could meet us on the way because the man was bleeding badly. We met the ambulance about 40 kilometres outside of town and both the man and his wife were taken straight to hospital where surgery was performed on him. The man had deep scratches on his head, neck, arms and chest.”
According to Andreas, the woman told him that they saw another vehicle close to where they were camping but after the attack when she tried to get help the car was nowhere to be found which led him to believe that poachers wounded the animal causing it to attack the tourist in an enraged state.
“The whole scene was very strange. There was blood high up on the truck close to the window and I found deep scratch marks on the aluminium body of the vehicle. The fact that the leopard attacked the man and vehicle afterwards can only mean that it was wounded by someone who shot it.”
He said when he realised that the visitor was attacked by a leopard he immediately drove towards Walvis Bay because he did not know if the animal was still in the vicinity and if it would attack again.
Best Regards
Adolf
Conservation is our passion!

Trustee, Sponsor & SA Contact for 'Desert Lion Conservation'!
Sponsor of Desert Elephant Conservation.
Hobby: Land Cruiser Touring Vehicles. Member of the LCCSA.
Slogan: Tread lightly, leave nothing but your foot prints!
Letzte Änderung: 13 Apr 2018 09:27 von Cruiser.
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Logi, Tina Lenno
13 Apr 2018 09:36 #518504
  • freshy
  • freshys Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 5170
  • freshy am 13 Apr 2018 09:36
  • freshys Avatar
Hallo Cruiser,
das ist jetzt die 3. Nachricht zu dem Thema - wenn auch in englisch und ausführlicher.

Nix für ungut,
freshy
Letzte Änderung: 13 Apr 2018 09:37 von freshy.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: ALM, Logi
13 Apr 2018 13:40 #518544
  • Cruiser
  • Cruisers Avatar
  • Namibian! Living in SA and NAM!
  • Dank erhalten: 2033
  • Cruiser am 13 Apr 2018 09:27
  • Cruisers Avatar
Sorry, mein Fehler und zwischen Arbeit auch im falschen Forum. :silly:
Daher habe ich auch die anderen nicht gesehen.

Bitte Löschen.
Best Regards
Adolf
Conservation is our passion!

Trustee, Sponsor & SA Contact for 'Desert Lion Conservation'!
Sponsor of Desert Elephant Conservation.
Hobby: Land Cruiser Touring Vehicles. Member of the LCCSA.
Slogan: Tread lightly, leave nothing but your foot prints!