THEMA: Beautiful Zimbabwe! - September 2013
12 Okt 2013 01:53 #307899
  • Freebird
  • Freebirds Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 89
  • Freebird am 12 Okt 2013 01:53
  • Freebirds Avatar
Part 3 – Mana Pools – Day 1 at Nyamepi Camp

Monday 16th September – Makuti Lodge: we woke up to the noise of car engines. Right outside our room door seemed to be a mini Nuerburgring race track with Vettel at poll position …
14 hours of travelling the day before and with half of it on rough roads had taken its toll. We had overslept despite having set an alarm clock.
All other guests had gone by the time we had washed, packed up and stuck our heads out of our room.

At least they had left some diesel for us at the petrol station.

Yesterday’s long drive had one advantage – we might be able to have an additional day in Mana Pool, if we could secure the additional overnight accommodation in the park. Would there be a camp site free for us at Nyamepi? There was only one thing to and that was to drive the 15 kms to Marongora and enquire at Zim Parks’ offices.

The office walls were leaden with sepia photographs and stuffed animal heads which looked like they might have been hanging there for half a century or more.

The offices themselves were buzzing with Zim Parks rangers, most of them getting ready to go on patrol. A friendly ranger skyped Nyamepi Camp and secured us a night at camp site no 4.

We had noticed earlier that rangers had helped themselves to small coke bottles from an office fridge paying half a dollar into a kitty per bottle. We bought a round for those present as a small thank you.

After another 4 kms on the tarmac road to Lusaka, the gravel road to Mana Pools beckoned on the right-hand side. Cindy had read horror stories about the condition of the road to Nyamepi Camp on an English forum. The surface must have been graded since then as the road was level in most places and had only a few spots of deep sand, but there were no horrors to be found!

We passed quickly through the Nyakasikana Gate where the road split, turning left to Nyamepi Camp and turning right to the Chitake Camps.

We heard later that the Chitake Camps can no longer be booked through the Zim Parks Head Office in Harare as concessions for them have been sold to tour operators – can anyone here confirm this? It would be a real shame …

We took up our spot in Nyamepi at camp site no 4 ...

... had a tea ...

... unpacked our car and tried to set up the roof tent for the first time only to find that the main bolt of the tent’s elbow joint was missing a nut size 13 ...

The car came with a small tool set, such as two spanners sizes 8 & 10 and sizes 12 and 14 – but none in size 13, the most common nut size!

We asked the ablutions block attendant if one might find a spare nut at the camp – he shook his head – no way! Well, not taking no for an answer I asked the guy to take me to the camp’s mechanic, who went by the name of Josef.

Josef had a whole baking tin full of size 13 nuts and bolts and was only too happy to help us out.

The tent was quickly repaired and erected ...

... lunch was served ...

...when the first unexpected visitor appeared behind the car …

I was amazed about how calm everybody stayed in the camp despite the near presence of this powerful wild animal!

The elephant walked right through the camp grazing – his goal was a break in the steep river bank, where he could have a dip ...

The elephant actually went right up to the women (sitting in the chair & reading a book) to pick up some grass just 2 inches away from her toes. The women kept still throughout the encounter – I had switched over to taking a video by the.

We slept very little that night due to excitement as we were booked on a canoe safari the next couple of days, and also because the elephants were around the car the whole night munching on fruits from the trees and hyenas were making sniffling and laughing noises.

Would the canoe trip be as exciting as we had hoped for? You can find out in part 4 …

Cheers,
Joachim

=======================================

Part 3 – Mana Pools – Erster Tag im Nyamepi Camp

Montag, den 16. September - Makuti Lodge: wir erwachten zum Lärm von Automotoren. Direkt vor unserer Tür schien eine Mini Nürburgring Rennstrecke postiert, mit Vettel an erster Position beim Start ...
14 Stunden hinterm Steuer am Vortag, die Hälfte davon auf unebenen Straßen, hatten ihren Tribut gefordert. Trotz Gebrauch eines Weckers hatten wir verschlafen.
So war es dann auch kein Wunder dass sich alle anderen Gäste schon verdrueckt haten als gewaschen und gepackt unsere Köpfe aus unserem Zimmer steckten.

Zumindest hatten sie Diesel für uns an der Tankstelle hinterlassen!

Die gestrige lange Fahrt hatte aber einen Vorteil - wir könnten vielleicht einen zusätzlichen Tag in Mana –Pool haben, wenn wir die zusätzliche Übernachtung im Park sichern konnte . Wuerde es einen freien Campingplatz für uns im Nyamepi Camp geben?Wir fuhren die 15 km bis zum Zim Parks Büro in Marongora um die Frage zu klaeren ....

Die Bürowände waren mit Sepia Fotografien und ausgestopften Tierköpfen geschmueckt die dort wohl schon seit einem halben Jahrhundert oder mehr hingen.

Das Büros war mit Zim Parks Rangers gefuellt, die meisten von ihnen bereiteten sich auf eine Patrouille vor. Eine freundliche Rangerin skyped Nyamepi Camp und sicherte uns eine Nacht am Platz Nummer 4.

Wir hatten beobachtet, dass sich Ranger kleine Colaflaschen von einem Kühlschrank gegen Zahlung von einem halben Dollar fuer die Buerokasse nahmen.Wir kauften eine Runde für die Anwesenden als ein kleines Dankeschön .

Nach weiteren 4 km auf der Teerstraße nach Lusaka, lockte die Schotterstraße nach Mana Pools auf der rechten Seite. Cindy hatte Horrorgeschichten über den Zustand dieser Piste auf einem englischen Forum gelesen. Die Oberfläche muss man aber seitdem verbessert haben, da die Piste gut war und nur ein einigen wenigen Stellen ein bissle versandet war ...

Wir gingen passierten das Nyakasikana Gate zuegig. Die Straße teilt sich hier, links geht es nach Nyamepi Camp und rechts geht es Richtung Chitake Camps.

Wir hörten später, dass die Chitake Camps nicht mehr ueber das Zim Parks Head Office in Harare gebucht werden koennen da bzgliche Konzessionen an Reiseveranstalter verkauft wurden - kann dies hier jemand bestätigen? Es wäre wirklich schade, ...

Wir nahmen unseren Platz in Nyamepi am Campingplatz no 4 ein, hatte einen Tee, packten das Auto aus und versuchte zum ersten Mal das Dachzelt aufzustellen. Da stellten wir fest dass wir die wichtigste Mutter (siehe Photo) in Groesse 13 verloren hatten.

Das Auto kam mit einem kleinen Werkzeug-Set, wie z.B. zwei Schraubenschlüssel Größen 8 & 10 und 12 & 14 - aber keine in Größe 13 , die häufigste Muttern Größe!

Wir fragten den Putzmann ob man eine Ersatz- Mutter im Camp finden könnte - er schüttelte den Kopf - no way! Na ja, da ich ein Nein nicht als Antwort annehmen wollte fragte ich ihn nach dem Camp Mechaniker, der uebrigens Josef hiess.

Josef hatte eine grosse Blechdose voller Schrauben und Muttern in Größe 13 und war nur zu glücklich, uns zu helfen.

Das Zelt war schnell repariert und errichtet, Mittagessen wurde serviert, als dann der erste unerwartete Besucher hinterm Auto erschien ...

Ich war erstaunt darueber dass alle Gaeste trotz der nahen Anwesenheit dieses mächtigen wilden Tieres die Ruhe bewahrten!

Der Elefant weidete durch den gesamten Campingplatz - sein Ziel war ein Bruch im andersweitig steilen Ufer - er wollte halt ein kuehles Bad im Sambezi nehmen ...

Der Elefant ging tatsächlich nahe an die Frau im Photo (die auf dem Stuhl sitzt und ein Buch liest ) heran um sich da ein wenig Gras in 5cm Entfernung von ihren Zehen zu stibitzen. Die Frau hatte die Ruhe weg - ich hatte zu dem Zeitpunkt aber auf Videoaufnahmen umgeschaltet.

Aufgrund der Vorfreude bzgl. der anstehenden Kanu Safari, wegen der Elephanten die die ganze Nacht um den Wagen schlichen um von den Baeumen zu essen and wegen der Hyänen die schnueffelde & lachede Geräusche machten kamen wir in der Nacht nicht richtig zum Schlaf.

Würde die Kanufahrt so spannend sein wie wir es uns erhofft hatten?

Ihr werdet dies spaeter in Teil 4 dieses RBs herausfinden koennten ...

LG
Joachim
Letzte Änderung: 13 Okt 2013 15:01 von Freebird.
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Hanne, lilytrotter, ANNICK, Birgitt, Champagner, nachti
12 Okt 2013 08:21 #307914
  • Champagner
  • Champagners Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 18273
  • Champagner am 12 Okt 2013 08:21
  • Champagners Avatar
Good morning Joachim,

:woohoo: pleeeeease continue!!! :woohoo: Sounds like a thriller..... :blink: !

I'm very amazed about this woman on your pics: didn't she even look at the elephant??? I can't believe it.... Me too, I am not afraid of elephants.... but always on the save part of a car or tent :silly: !

Have a nice weekend (by writing your report :P ) !

Bele
Letzte Änderung: 12 Okt 2013 08:22 von Champagner.
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Freebird
12 Okt 2013 08:31 #307915
  • ANNICK
  • ANNICKs Avatar
  • Profite, on ne vit qu'une fois!
  • Dank erhalten: 19029
  • ANNICK am 12 Okt 2013 08:31
  • ANNICKs Avatar
Hi Bele,

The woman is certainly reading "The Loving Affairs" of Georges Clooney! :P

So she is completely in love with the book and doesn't really bother wha's happening close to her..... :kiss: :kiss:

Cheers
Annick

Sorry Joachim for disturbing you...... :whistle:
Folgende Benutzer bedankten sich: Champagner
12 Okt 2013 09:03 #307916
  • Champagner
  • Champagners Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 18273
  • Champagner am 12 Okt 2013 08:21
  • Champagners Avatar
@ Annick: so we are finally back to George Clooney :laugh: !

Sorry Joachim - it's an insider joke!

Bele
12 Okt 2013 09:29 #307917
  • Freebird
  • Freebirds Avatar
  • Freebirds Avatar
ANNICK schrieb:

Sorry Joachim for disturbing you...... :whistle:

No worries Annick, I know you are calling in an old debt here ... B)

Cheers,
Your little Rascal
12 Okt 2013 09:58 #307919
  • Freebird
  • Freebirds Avatar
  • Freebirds Avatar
Champagner schrieb:
Good morning Joachim,

:woohoo: pleeeeease continue!!! :woohoo: Sounds like a thriller..... :blink: !

I'm very amazed about this woman on your pics: didn't she even look at the elephant??? I can't believe it.... Me too, I am not afraid of elephants.... but always on the save part of a car or tent :silly: !

Have a nice weekend (by writing your report :P ) !

Bele

Hi Bele, thank you for the encouragement - it means a lot to me!

It was an amazing moment watching the elephant going close up to her and I will try to lift some stills off the video to post them here ...

I dared to approach the woman after the Elly had gone ... :whistle: ) - her hands were still trembling, causing the book to fall into the sand and revealing it's cover ... sugar, I can't remember it's title though - will ask Cindy to put me under hypnosis in order to clear up this little point ... ;)

Got a rather busy w/e ahead ...

Have a great w/e too!

Joachim