• Seite:
THEMA: Botswana itinerary
13 Okt 2010 12:20 #158876
  • micmic
  • micmics Avatar
  • micmic am 13 Okt 2010 12:20
  • micmics Avatar
Hello,

I've been planning a trip to Botswana for next summer and this forum has been recommended to me as a place to get information from people in the know. Unfortunately I don't speak any German :( But I hope you can review my itinerary and perhaps suggest corrections. :)

So, here it is:

01: Arrive in Maun by plane from Johannesburg, around noon. Pick up camping car, head to Kaziikini or Mankwe campsite
02: Drive to Ghanzi (Grassland Bushman Lodge)
03: Grassland Bushman Lodge (activities with Bushmen)
04: Drive back to Kaziikini or Mankwe campsite
05: Drive to Khama Rhino Sanctuary (near Serowe)
06: Khama Rhino Sanctuary
07: Drive to Moremi, South Gate campsite
08: Moremi, 3rd Bridge campsite
09: Moremi, 3rd Bridge campsite
10: Moremi, Xakanaxa campsite
11: Moremi, North Gate (Khwai) campsite
12: Lodge/Camp out of park (propably Sankuyo Bush Camp)
13: Chobe, Savuti campsite
14: Chobe, Ihaha campsite
15: Chobe, Ihaha campsite
16: Chobe, Ihaha campsite
17: Drive to Kasane, drop-off car. Board Ichobezi Safari Boat
18: Ichobezi Safari Boat
19: Fly from Kasane to Oddballs Enclave in Moremi
20: Oddballs Enclave
21: Fly to Maun and then to Johannesburg

So, does it look ok ? Any suggestions ? I know the driving times from Kaziikini to Ghanzi & Kahma are long, but I believe they are doable ?

Thank you!
Letzte Änderung: 13 Okt 2010 12:20 von micmic.
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.
14 Okt 2010 18:25 #159085
  • Botswanadreams
  • Botswanadreamss Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 1943
  • Botswanadreams am 14 Okt 2010 18:25
  • Botswanadreamss Avatar
Hi Micmic

The first week don’t make any sense to me. Is there any reason way you want to do it like this? The first night I would stay close to Maun because getting the car, shopping and the way to the bank for money take time. You could have activities with Bushmen on other places too. Grassland is a 60 km drive left from the main road to Ghanzi. Without going afterwards to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve I wouldn’t do it. The same is the drive to Khama Rhino Sanctuary (near Serowe). What about Makgadikgadi und Xnai Pan indeed?

Excuse my mistakes in English. I hope you can understand what I mean.

Best Regards
Botswanadreams
www.botswanadreams.de

"Alles, was ich jetzt wollte, war nach Afrika zurückzukommen. Ich hatte es noch nicht einmal verlassen, aber wenn ich nachts aufwachte, lag ich lauschend da, bereits voller Heimweh danach."
Ernest Hemingway
14 Okt 2010 19:30 #159088
  • micmic
  • micmics Avatar
  • micmics Avatar
Thanks Botswanadreams! I know the first week has some long drives. I made this plan because I was thinking about things I would like to see in Botswana. But I'm certainly open to suggestions for the first week!

I chose Khama Rhino Sanctuary well... for the rhinos :lol: I chose Grassman Bushman Lodge because you can camp there and I have heard good things about the Bushmen activites they organize (ie, they are not too staged, you get to participate a little in their actual way of life). I left out Makgadikgadi and Nxai Pan because I've been hearing that game viewing is not as good there as in Chobe and Moremi.

I was also thinking about several other destinations, eg crossing to Zimbabwe for the falls, the Tsodilo Hills, Deception pan/Leopard pan, Kubu island etc. There's not time for everything, so I tried to choose activities that have some variety.

If you know other places where I can meet the Bushmen, or if you have to recommend something else that won't take me too far from the North, then I'd certainly consider it!

Thanks!
16 Okt 2010 13:58 #159267
  • Botswanadreams
  • Botswanadreamss Avatar
  • Dank erhalten: 1943
  • Botswanadreams am 14 Okt 2010 18:25
  • Botswanadreamss Avatar
Hi micmic

Another place to learn more about the San could be the Dqae Qare Game Farm (www.dqae.org). It’s community based and owned by the San, but you should ask directly what do they offer because we only camped there on the way back to Namibia. You also should ask when the next Kuru Dance Festival takes place on the Farm (in August 2011 or 2012). My experience with Grassland was too much staged. D’kar is worth to stop for a visit. This tiny village is hosting the Kuru Museum and Culture Centre.

If I were you I would go to Tsodilo, the west bank of the Delta maybe with two days on an island by Mokoro, during the Caprivi and then to Chobe, Savuti , Moremi back to Maun. The Rhinos can wait for the second time.

Have fun to prepare your trip
Botswanadreams
www.botswanadreams.de

"Alles, was ich jetzt wollte, war nach Afrika zurückzukommen. Ich hatte es noch nicht einmal verlassen, aber wenn ich nachts aufwachte, lag ich lauschend da, bereits voller Heimweh danach."
Ernest Hemingway
16 Okt 2010 18:24 #159298
  • Streifenkarl
  • Streifenkarls Avatar
  • "Jeder Mensch braucht ab und zu ein wenig Wüste"
  • Dank erhalten: 14
  • Streifenkarl am 16 Okt 2010 18:24
  • Streifenkarls Avatar
Hallo Micmic,
my english is not so good - so just some short suggestions:

Why 3 night at Ihaha? I would prefer 2 nights at Savuti, maybe 1 night at Linyanti and 1 or max. 2 nights at Ihaha.

Chobe-Riverside is very good, but you have also 2 night at the boat - so you will see much river-side...

Kind regards from
Martina
17 Okt 2010 19:02 #159425
  • micmic
  • micmics Avatar
  • micmics Avatar
Thanks Botswanadreams, I visited the dqae site and it looks very good. Especially interesting is the option to spend a couple of days living in the same way the bushmen do. I didn't realize you had stayed in Grassland. Did you get to see the predators in their protection program ?

Katrina, I was initally looking at 2 nights Savuti and 2 nights Ihaha, but there was not availability in Savuti for the day I wanted it. Anyway, the campsite bookings finalized on Friday. I was anxious to secure them because people are saying that they fill up pretty quickly and indeed they do.

Another thing I would like opinions about, is what would you suggest regarding the camping vehicle rental. I currently have contacted Maunselfdrive, who are based in Maun and have Landrover Defenders. And also Bushlore, who are based in Kasane and have a larger selection, including Toyota Hilux, Landrovers and Landcruisers. The price is about the same for both companies, and both have good reputation. But I wonder whether I should trust a Toyota Hilux more than a Landrover. I've driven both in safaris, and they are both trustworthy, but the Landrover seems to me considerably more "noisy".
Letzte Änderung: 17 Okt 2010 19:03 von micmic.
  • Seite: